Saturday, October 20, 2007

Previous muggings

Some people had asked for info regarding previous muggings at or near the Metro station. Here's the what the e-mails said:

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: [mvsna] Armed mugging 600 block of M Street this morning

Thanks for the info.

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago - 2 guys on the south side of the 600 block of M Street at 6:15am. I never saw a weapon since they choked me unconscious without much of a struggle.

I would add to your warning to be particularly cautious on that block, and to be cautious any time before the sun comes up, until these guys have a reason to move on to a different spot.

> Subject: [mvsna] Armed mugging 600 block of M Street this morning> Sent: 08 Oct '07 14:04

> My friend who lives in the Washington Apts was mugged this morning at
> 5:23AM. He was on the south side of M street walking towards the

> Metro when two guys jumped out and threw him into the bushes. They
> attempted to choke him out and take his belongings. He was able to
> fight them off, however they eventually pulled out a gun. Obviously
> keep your wits about you if you find yourself out at night.

This was also posted on the Mt. Vernon Square blog here.

This regarding the Metro elevator incident:

Tuesday July 24th 2007; aprox 10:30AM

Metro

One of my tenants was attacked in the Mt Vernon Sq Metro elevator by 4 individuals.

It consisted of 2 males and 2 females. 2 suspects held his arms while one was watching out, the other were searching his pockets and bags.

Toward the end of the event my tenant was beaten and ended up in hospital with 13 stitches. Yes, he was sent to the hospital in the AM!!

6 Comments:

At 10/23/2007 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to contribute to this discussion- my roommate and I were assaulted in two separate incidents on Saturday, October 20 between 7:30 and 8pm. I was jumped by two young males on M between 4th and 5th NW- fought them off and they didn't manage to hurt me or steal anything. My roommate was not so lucky- was struck in the face (minor injuries) and his wallet was taken. He was assaulted on N Street somewhere between 5th and New Jersey by three young males. We didn't experience any of the "chokes" that others have run into.

Be careful, all.

-A

 
At 10/24/2007 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An armed mugging occurred yesterday at 5th and I -- a gun was used. I believe that the crime is connected all up and down 5th Street but we are divided into 1st and 3rd Districts. Are they talking to each other?

 
At 10/24/2007 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what happened to the mountvernonsquare.org website? They were discussing a shooting this past weekend that I wanted to know more about. Thanks.

 
At 10/24/2007 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They changed servers or something. They are temporarily at http://67.199.9.119/lifein/

 
At 10/28/2007 10:07 PM, Blogger Ryan Rodriguez said...

Perhaps this isn't relevant to your blog since I live on the other side of the convention center, but last night I was mugged at the corner of 10th and M. A young male jumped me, grabbed me by the throat, pushed something hard into my stomach, and demanded my cash. Out of shock (or stupidity), I said no, kicked him in the shin and jumped into the street. In the process, the guy tried to steal my ipod but got away only with my new (and fab-o) earbuds.

I was making all the wrong moves before it happened--listing to loud music on my ipod, not paying attention, and doing my little ipod walk/dance thing. Keep your eyes open ladies and gentlemen. And why would it be so difficult for this city to light its streets? The corner of 10th and M is a busy street yet it's pitch dark there after the sun goes down.

One thing that the city did do right though is the police response. After dialing 911, it probably took the police about 45 seconds to arrive. Two squad cars looked for him to no avail. A fantastic female cop and her partner even drove me around looking for the jerk that jumped me.

Word from the (now) streetwise, keep your eyes peeled and your legs taking you down lit streets after dark.

 
At 10/30/2007 8:24 AM, Blogger si said...

weve been having hosting issues, sorry for the inconvenience. you can find us at mvsna.org

ryan thank you for posting your experience, how awful. did you see what the guy looked like?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home