Thursday, September 07, 2006

ANC2C Meeting 9/6

Well, this blog got a bit more attention than I had bargained for when it became a subject for heated discussion at the end of the ANC2C meeting last night. It began when one attendee objected to critical comments directed against Commission Chairman Thorpe, who then observed that the person responsible for the blog was sitting at the table and said that the blog was spreading malicious allegations that would divide the community. Several other people spoke up to praise Chairman Thorpe’s activism and his key role in reducing crime in the area, noting how different the situation was today compared with only a few years ago.

When I was finally recognized to speak, I acknowledged that I was the blog’s author, but pointed out that I had never written anything disrespectful or critical about Mr. Thorpe in the blog and specifically had never posted anything claiming that he was “homophobic,” but I do not control what other people say in their comments. I added that I saw the blog as a way of getting out information to people in the community, particularly newcomers, who are unaware of neighborhood issues and developments and who might not even know, for example, that the ANC exists or what it does.

I spoke with Mr. Thorpe after the meeting, and I believe that things are okay between us.

To any readers who may be upset about comments others have posted to this blog, let me say to you what I said to Mr. Thorpe: He has my great respect and appreciation for all of the work he has done for many years to turn this community around and to try to make it, in his words, clean, safe, and drug-free. I believe that is a goal that everyone—black or white, gay or straight—can agree on, and one we should all work together to achieve.

I have tried to be as fair and even-handed as possible in what I post here. I consider this blog to be something of a forum and I believe that having people informed about issues, problems, and achievements in the community can help neighbors get to know each other and get more involved in neighborhood affairs.

I also believe people have a right to express their opinions and will allow anyone to post comments (as Commissioner Thorpe himself has done) as long as they do not appear to be obscene, grossly offensive, or obviously untrue. So say what you want to say, but please, let’s keep it civil. And kindly identify yourself in some way when you post a comment.

11 Comments:

At 9/07/2006 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have the FULL support of this member of the community and everyone i know. Your blog is a crucial part of life in the city and you should be awarded a medal, not called upon to defend yourself at meetings.

 
At 9/07/2006 10:38 AM, Blogger si said...

I agree! Daddy 5-o this blog is so beneficial to the central shaw community. keeping people informed & providing a forum to freely voice opinions has helped mvsna neighbors to be so much more active and effective in the community. I'm so glad you are helping to get it going in shaw.

 
At 9/07/2006 10:40 AM, Blogger richard said...

dont let some joke of a dictator tell you what you can say. until the theocratic fascists take over we can say almost whatever we want. i remember back in the early 90's when some nutcase was standing on the corner calling a candidate for public office a cooksuking fag. wonder who that garbage mouth could be? guess.

 
At 9/07/2006 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People need to realize that Thorpe is holding back our community not helping it.

Such nonsense about how he spoke to you afterwards is not going to stop crime.

Things have gotten worse under Thorpes regime not better.

 
At 9/07/2006 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who is preparing to move to Shaw, I have been so glad to find your blog.

I'm sorry to hear that you were taken to task in that way - and you don't owe anyone an apology for creating a public neighborhood forum.

Thanks for providing this space!

 
At 9/08/2006 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

one commissioner falls asleep at every meeting. are you saying two were asleep at the last one?

 
At 9/08/2006 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9/08/2006 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9/08/2006 9:16 PM, Blogger DaddyFiveOh said...

To anonymous: I'm sorry but I've deleted your last two comments. I'm glad to have your comments here, but particularly on this touchy issue, I would like commenters to identify themselves in some fashion. Thanks.

 
At 9/09/2006 12:05 PM, Blogger richard said...

y'all can post all the inflamatory stuff you want on my blog...i will only delete spamers. it's a libertarian blog dedicated to individual rights and freedom to express your views whatever they are.

 
At 9/09/2006 12:43 PM, Blogger DaddyFiveOh said...

Richard: In this case the deletion was due to the anonymity, not the content.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home