Friday, August 18, 2006

Camera Moves to 5th and O

I came home from work today to see a Channel 5 news crew at 5th and O pointing a camera at the surveillance camera on a lamp post on the corner. The camera has now been moved from Bundy School to this location.

I also had a long conversation with ANC commissioner Thorpe, during which he showed me a copy of an e-mail from Assistant Police Chief Newsham which said that the camera had been relocated at Thorpe's recommendation. The message added that police officers would be out of their vehicles to patrol more difficult areas and would improve communications with community leaders.

I think this is a good move, and not entirely for selfish reasons. The location makes more sense given the focus of police attention at this intersection and the doubtful efficacy of the previous site on top of the school building. Commissioner Thorpe deserves thanks for his part in this decision.

Of course, it's a little weird being officially recognized as one of the worse crime sites in the city. Can we get a break on our tax assessment?

7 Comments:

At 8/20/2006 3:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Daddyfiveoh--

My partner and I will move to P St between 5th & 6th in October, from Cap Hill. Any gatherings or gathering places in the neighborhood for GLBTs? Thanks for the blog!

 
At 8/20/2006 10:10 AM, Blogger DaddyFiveOh said...

Right now, there's nothing that I know of that meets that description in the immediate neighborhood. However, BeBar (a new gay-owned bar/restaurant on 9th between N and O) is supposed to open on September 1. This has been the source of controversy, since 3 of our 4 ANC commissioners, including Leroy Thorpe (who represents what will be your district) tried to keep the owners from getting a liquor license. There are quite a number of gays in this area, so Bebar may become a kind of gathering place.

Actually, I have been wondering if there would be any interest in establishing some kind of informal email "GLBT in Shaw" kind of thing. I suppose this blog could serve as a beginning. Just a thought.

Glad you've been looking at my blog. We'll look forward to seeing you in the 'hood.

 
At 8/20/2006 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My partner and our 10 month old daughter would be up for an informal GLBT gathering too, if one were to occur.

-Jennifer
Warner St (near 5th and Q)

 
At 8/21/2006 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm interested as well in the GLBT e-mail/meeting idea.

Rob
N Street (near N St and Kirby)

 
At 8/21/2006 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was glad to see the camera go up, but it will just move the trouble away from our corner to somebody else's.

I just discovered your blog last week and love the neighborhood news. My partner and I live just around the corner on 5th, and I'd be up for a regular neigborhood happy hour. It's great that Bebar seems to have won the liquor license battle, let's hope that Vegetate and Queen of Sheba triumph soon as well.

Mark

 
At 8/21/2006 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps we could get a GLBT in Shaw Yahoo e-mail list going. I also like the idea of setting up happy hours at Be Bar, and when we move in (in late October), we'll be glad to set up an informal neighborhood GLBT gathering at our place.

If no one else wants to do it, I'd be glad to set up a Yahoo email list. I'll announce it here shortly, unless anyone has any other ideas?

 
At 8/27/2006 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

many residents emailed newsham about relocating the camera. MANY. but it is typical of commissioner thorpe to only mention his.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home