Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Crime Fighters Notebook

A friend and neighbor sent the following suggestion:

Regarding the neighbors in the 400 block of N Street NW who watched two perps stealing their bicycle ... and the failure of DC 911 to respond appropriately ... I offer the following:
Patrick here -- your neighbor cross the alley, 5 doors to the West with the bamboo.
I'm very sorry to hear this -- both the loss of your property and the continuing disappointment with DC services.
You are not alone. 911's ignorance caused me great pain years ago -- but that's another story.
SUGGESTIONS for DISCUSSION: I strongly recommend we all have bright back yard lights -- mine are motion-sensitive.
Claxon / Airhorn / Marine horn. I recommend we all arm ourselves with something much more effective than firearms. Cheap, Loud, Persistent airhorns. Widely available. Marine supplies sell the strongest, loudest.
It's midnight. You see the perps entering your yard. Your lights come on. Partner dials 911 [Always say, regardless of the truth, "He's got a gun and I heard one shot" Give the cross streets and hang up.], you run to the window: BLLLLAAAAAAAATTTTT!!!!!
Sure, It will annoy the rest of us. But I'll join you at my window: BLLLLLAAATTT!!! And then the next one ... and the next one. The perp is challenged, the police informed, the venue identified by sound and light, and perhaps the property saved.
OK, folks ... tell me why this won't work!
Patrick on Ridge Street.

Well, guys...what do you think? Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

8 Comments:

At 4/17/2007 6:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am buying an airhorn tonight

 
At 4/17/2007 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a brave idea, that's for sure. What if the perp has a gun and decides to start taking pot shots at the window(s) from which the sound is coming? Could be a costly mistake.

Stuff in the backyard is replacable. Your life is not.

 
At 4/17/2007 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope mine doesnt go off accidently LOL

 
At 4/18/2007 6:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think lighting up alleys and streets is a must. Always seemed weird to me to walk down streets in Shaw shortly after sundown and the neighborhood seem like a ghost town. If we could all just turn on our front and back lights in the evening it would make things safer.

 
At 4/18/2007 9:44 AM, Blogger si said...

One of our MVSNA goals is to provide those little light bulb gadgets that automatically turn your lights on at night.

mixed feelings about airhorns, i think the noise would drive us nuts but it would alert the police & scare the $hit out of a would be burglar.

 
At 4/18/2007 1:03 PM, Blogger CCCA Prez said...

If you cry wolf too many times, and distract the MPD from real gun incidents, you might regret it someday when someone else gets more MPD attention from a ipod! theft trumpetted by an airhorn and false gun threat when you yourself are in fact being threatened by a gunman. And you might get a little peeved — if you don't lose your life.

Get some motion detector lights. Get an alarm system. Get a camera to shoot perps and keep it as handy as your keys. Don't leave expensive bikes or gems outside.

A raccoon set off my neighbors lights once. I heard it on my roof once after it woke me out of a deep sleep and scared the pee out off me.

 
At 4/18/2007 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the best and cheapest camera recorder? I need one for the front door and rear alley gate.

 
At 4/19/2007 8:42 PM, Blogger CCCA Prez said...

Like I said, cameras provide the best method to shoot people (and animals). I need to get that GPS system for my bike ... and ipod!... and house keys. ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home